Re: Recommendation for new hd vdr system.

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 17:55 +0000, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > + I originally set up the system as a diskless (nfsroot)
> >   system, but KDE 4 (I am using OpenSuSE 11.2) performs
> >   unbearably slow, so I was forced to install a hard disk.
>
> Couldn't you use a much lighter desktop if this is a PC especially for
> VDR?

Running VDR is important, but not the only purpose.
Surfing the internet, watching DVDs and BlueRays, etc.
is a lot of fun on an HD beamer. :-)

> > I currently use this (actively cooled) main board:
> > http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a455388.html
> >
> > Using a passively cooled main board would solve the
> > fan noise problem.
>
> I can't tell what's under that fan from the picture. If the heatsink is
> fixed to the motherboard with pins you could replace it with a Zalman
> passive chipset cooler, but you would need to make sure there's good
> airflow through the case (what provision does it have for fans?

Currently, the airflow is provided by the power supply fan only.

> At least it should be easier to get silent case fans than a silent fan small
> enough for that chip).

I agree.
As I said, A silent 4x4cm fan seems to be hard to find.
There are very nice silent 12x12cm fans,

> Otherwise you could get an adapter (like a
> square funnel) to fit a bigger, quieter fan on to the heatsink.

That will not fit. The power supply sits above the board.

Carsten.