Re: Recommendation for new hd vdr system.

On Sat, 2009-11-14 at 21:23 +0100, Carsten Koch wrote:
> I was thinking along the same lines and I have just bought
> an ION board.
>
> The main board comes with a CPU and with GeForce 9400 graphics,
> so that will be cheaper than the sum of a normal board + CPU +
> GeForce 9400 graphics.

OK, i finally found the time to complete a VDR PC
based on the ION board.

The good news are:

+ 1080p plays back smoothly with xine/vdpau
  with very low CPU usage.
+ sound over HDMI works.
+ the streamdev-client plugin works - even with HD channels.
+ the xine plugin works fine - also with HD channels and HD
  recordings. I had to tweak a few config items.

The not-so-good news are:

+ The fan is a bit loud and so far I have not found
  a silent replacement fan.
+ I originally set up the system as a diskless (nfsroot)
  system, but KDE 4 (I am using OpenSuSE 11.2) performs
  unbearably slow, so I was forced to install a hard disk.

So, as it turns out, I do not need a DVB card in the PC
(the server has 2 DVB-S cards and one DVB card).
If I keep it that way, I really do not need the PCI slot,
so I could use one of these passively cooled main boards
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a467665.html
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a439268.html

I currently use this (actively cooled) main board:
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a455388.html

Using a passively cooled main board would solve the
fan noise problem.

Carsten.