Re: Patches for VGA timing not matching up with the TV (was: HD output - your current favourites)

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 05:38:47PM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> > yes, my PCI Geforce 8400 card on GPU G98 can do 1080p@50 but with the simplest bob deinterlacing only. I prefer to use
> > more advanced deinterlacing algorithm - temporal_spatial or temporal. But with them I have jerky video
>
> Hm, do you think you were only able to use simple deinterlacing because
> of limitations in CPU speed, bus bandwidth (only PCI - I've been
> thinking about one of the 8400 GSs myself so I can play with it in my
> PCI-only VDR box..), or power within the G98 GPU itself?
>
> > > .. But you might get better results if you outputted 1:1 interlaced material
> > > using 1080i50 mode and let the LCD tv do the deinterlacing..
> >
> > Yes, exactly what I want to try, But I couldn't run properly 1080i@50 - even in xorg.log I have the report about validated
> > 1080i@50 mode - my LCD TV Philips 9703PFL reported about 1080p source from hdmi
>
> :( Native output and letting the TV do the grunt work would be my
> prefernece, too - in what way doesn't it work? No output at all or very
> juddery output ?

Here are parts of a discussion I had with a Nvidia developer 4 months ago:

> I'm interested in getting 1:1 output of interlaced DVB broadcasts
> using Nvidia gfx cards. For this you need to be able to vsync to each
> interlaced field separately.. afaik Nvidia X.org driver does not
> support this?

I just tested VDPAU, and it looks like this is possible, to some degree.
Specifically, with 480i output over S-Video, I find that the presentation
queue flips at 60Hz, not 30Hz, so it's definitely only syncing to fields
not frames.

The hard part is that there's no way to specify if you're outputting a
top or bottom field, so it'll end up being random if your surface gets
displayed as top or bottom, which kinda makes the whole thing pointless.

We did acknowledge that this use-case might exist, but were of the
opinion that it was extremely rare; most users will simply de-interlace
their content and display it one their progressive display. Does your
display device not support any progressive modes?

> > The hard part is that there's no way to specify if you're outputting a
> > top or bottom field, so it'll end up being random if your surface gets
> > displayed as top or bottom, which kinda makes the whole thing pointless.
>
> Yeah the field order you need to be able to specify or figure out..

I did some investigation, and it doesn't look like our HW exposes any status
indicating top v.s. bottom field, nor any way to request syncing of display
to top v.s. bottom field.

Sorry this isn't more useful! I will keep this request around as an RFE
(request for enhancement) just in case we can implement it on any future HW.

Oh, and it looks like we do support 50Hz output; see the README that comes
with the driver, and search for the TVStandard option.

> Do you know if VDPAU supports "full-fps" deinterlacing? ie. 50 fps
> progressive output for 50 hz interlaced video..

Yes, out with an n Hz field rate, you should be able to derive either n Hz
frame rate or 2n Hz frame rate. The exact details are explained in the
vdpau.h documentation on video mixer usage, with some additional notes in the
driver README.

-- Pasi