Re: Any really working HD video output systems for VDR?

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 13:19 +0300, Vesa wrote:
> [...]

First of all, thanks for the explanation, I believe it is the first time
I manage to understand why these settings are needed, the automatic
translation from google is borderline between funny and completely
useless.

> Here is proper settings for eHD, when you have HDMI/DVI display and it support all resolutions (576i, 720p and 1080i in Europe)
>
> Output: HDMI
> Analog Output: off
> Display Type: 16:9
> Aspect Rations: Fill to Aspect
> Resolution: 1080
> Refresh Rate: 50Hz
> Deinsterlacer for SDTV: Off
> Resolution change: Media resolution
> OSD scaling: Fill to screen
>
> With proper display, digital video is now 1:1 on pixel/frame level.

Well, I have to say that I already used this setup since after trying
almost all the combinations this was giving me best results.
I have a mitsubishi HC-4900 VPR that has no problems displaying
576i/480i through the HDMI connection.

That said, while I agree that for still images and for videos with very
small amounts of panning the eHd image is much better (color definition,
sharpness) in all other cases , and much more evident with low bitrate
streams (that alas are almost the norm with Sky Italy), the mpeg
rendering of the FF card is much more smooth than the eHd, the eHD also
has problems with the rendering of white lines and/or characters (jagged
lines, blurry borders) .

So, either something's still not working with my setup (no pixel to
pixel output from the eHd, is there any way I can check ?) or I stand
with my s_subjective_ opinion that the FF output, in terms of MPEG
rendering is much more polished than the eHd output for SD content

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, and that I still have to find the
correct setup for the eHd that will allow it to output an
unprocessed/uninterlaced image

Regards

Mattia

--