Re: [Fwd: Re: let vdr ignore non vdr directories ?]

vdr-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 15.04.2009 08:41:02:

> > vdr is not deleting files it does not know. Its only deleting empty
> > directories in its video directories.
>
> From the VDR/INSTALL file:
>
>   Note that you should not copy any non-VDR files into the /videoX
> directories,
>   since this might cause a lot of unnecessary disk access when VDR
> cleans up those
>   directories and there is a large number of files and/or subdirectories
in
>   there.
>
> The video directory is VDR's own space, there shall be nothing else
> in there. If the user puts anything non-VDR related into it (even by
> mistake), it's their fault.
>
> Klaus

A pretty much simplified approach ;-)

A simple use case:
* standalone settop box with VDR and DVD recording capability
* OS gets a seperate small partition
* /videoX get the big rest

Now install the usual suspects:
vdr-burn or vdrconvert

They need a lot of temporary space.
So there are two options:
* blocking ++20GB just for temporary files for burning and greating a
seperate partition
* put the temp files for burning in /videoX  ;-)

The second approach is the most usefull assuming a typical 100..200GB HD.
Hence the INSTALL file is a lame excuse.
We should find a good aproach to solve this even when a single disc space
is used.
Don't forget, the majority of users will never use RAID, LVM and similar
advanced concepts.
Better focus on KISS.

Peter

P.S. I put it in /videoX on a stand alone box for my brother and had to
make a lot of modifications to script tools like burn and vdrconvert to
insure their temporary directories are NOT killed by VDR.
This caused initially a LOT OF TROUBLE ...