Re: [Fwd: Re: let vdr ignore non vdr directories ?]

On Montag, 20. April 2009, Peter Dittmann wrote:
> vdr-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx schrieb am 15.04.2009 08:41:02:
> > > vdr is not deleting files it does not know. Its only deleting empty
> > > directories in its video directories.
> >
> > From the VDR/INSTALL file:
> >
> >   Note that you should not copy any non-VDR files into the /videoX
> > directories,
> >   since this might cause a lot of unnecessary disk access when VDR
> > cleans up those
> >   directories and there is a large number of files and/or subdirectories
>
> in
>
> >   there.
> >
> > The video directory is VDR's own space, there shall be nothing else
> > in there. If the user puts anything non-VDR related into it (even by
> > mistake), it's their fault.
> >
> > Klaus
>
> A pretty much simplified approach ;-)
>
> A simple use case:
> * standalone settop box with VDR and DVD recording capability
> * OS gets a seperate small partition
> * /videoX get the big rest
>
> Now install the usual suspects:
> vdr-burn or vdrconvert
>
> They need a lot of temporary space.
> So there are two options:
> * blocking ++20GB just for temporary files for burning and greating a
> seperate partition
> * put the temp files for burning in /videoX  ;-)

Option 3: Mount your big partition onto /var/vdr (or any other point you
choose) and put vdr's video directory into /var/vdr/video, and other vdr-burn
temp stuff into /var/vdr/vdr-burn-temp or /var/vdr/temp/burn

As I understand it: It is a unix principle to form the directory tree based on
logical structure and not on physical disk layout.

Regards
Matthias