Re: vdpau output to pal tv,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:48:50PM +1000, Torgeir Veimo wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2009, at 23:29, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > And if the video has to be scaled it would have to scale each field
> > separately then reinterlace them line-by-line at the output resolution

@Tony Houghton:
is it really possible to scale each field separately without producing
artifacts? Isn't deinterlacing always neccessary prior to scaling?
IMHO scaling does imply that even lines are allowed to blur into odd lines
if the scale factor forces this.

But artifact free blur of both fields is NOT possible if you either
- don't deinterlace prior to scale
or
- keep even and odd fields separated during scale

> Ok, I guess this single issue implies that vdpau is not fully suitable
> for displaying interlaced material with interlaced output.

@Torgeir Veimo:
not sure about this. Intel series i9xx graphics is able to scale by
hardware even in interlaced mode. I use this feature for my intel based
frame rate control patches (SCART/RGB/PAL vga-sync-fields patch).

- Thomas