Re: vdpau output to pal tv,

On 16 Feb 2009, at 12:12, Torgeir Veimo wrote:

> On 16 Feb 2009, at 02:35, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:02:37 +1000
>> Torgeir Veimo <torgeir@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Watching live sports i get judder, it almost looks like it's
>>> dropping
>>> every even or odd field.. It might be that it's just that field
>>> parity
>>> is not observed, but it's a bit hard to make out.
>>
>> By "judder" do you just mean a slight lack of smoothness or is it
>> quite
>> severe with moving objects jumping backwards each frame? If the
>> former
>> it's probably dropping fields (or deinterlacing to 25fps), if the
>> latter
>> it's got the field parity wrong.
>
> It's a bit hard to tell, as it's a 100hz tv, doing its own
> deinterlacing as well. I'd guess it's a field parity issue though. I
> did see some "non-linear" judder watching football last night, but it
> might as well be the tv deinterlacer being confused due to field
> parity being wrong.

Andy Ritger (nvidia) said in a mail to the xorg mailing list some time
ago;

"If the application doesn't enable de-interlacing, NVIDIA's VDPAU
implementation will currently copy the weaved frame to the "progressive"
surface, and whether it will come out correctly will depend whether the
window's offset from the start of the screen is odd or even."

I take this to imply that field parity should be possible, but the
application in use have to detect the field flag from the source
material and set the Y offset appropriately to be 0 or 1 accordingly.

Progressive material seems to display correctly.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir@xxxxxxxxx