Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.8.0 plugin

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 03:41:05PM +0100, alexw wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 November 2007 15:16:32 Graziano Pavone wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Using my PS3 as a vdr client is also my target. But I experienced bad
> > > (de-)interlacing when watching SD TV using SD output (even with right
> > > resolution). I am now waiting the new HV xorg driver to have more control
> > > on
> > > the video than the already available fb blit mechanism. I did rewrite the
> > > fb
> > > driver of xinelib to enhace it with ps3 blit functionality and virtual fb
> > > but
> > > it did not improve the output quality. By the way, the PS3 have a
> > > colorspace
> > > issue to display the OSD with proper color palette under the fb. (X is
> > > not affected by this)
> > >
> > > Actually I am using streamdev and xineliboutput together.
> > > Xineliboutput is good to pilot the server side from any linux based
> > > system.
> > > Streamdev + FF card + vdr is the best deal for client device (I am using
> > > this
> > > solution over wifi and it works like a charm)
> > > Streamdev + m3u patch is ideal to use VLC with playlist and allow Win OS
> > > access the TV programs.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I would like to use my PS3 as vdr client as well.
> > I'm currently using xineliboutput for my other client (on a standard PC),
> > so this would be my first choice, but I've no problem to switch back to
> > vdr-xine (which I used in the past - with the network patch... I moved to
> > xineliboutput just because I don't want to patch xine-lib everytime
> > anymore..)
> >
> >  Can you give more details of what are you using on your PS3?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Graziano
>
> Sure,
>
> Standard FC 7 (I will soon upgrade it to FC 8)
> modified version of iwconfig to allow wpa-psk(2) to work
> Xine-lib cvs (v1.1.6)
> vdr-sxfe or vdr-fbfe as needed
> The PS3 is connected to a SD TV set.
>
> As you can see it is not something complicated. Apparently when trying the
> same thing with HD (720p/1080p) television gives better result. (talking
> about picture quality) To enhance the picture quality on a SD TV you can
> deinterlace in sw before displaying the picture. The drawback is that an
> interlaced source is de-interlaced then interlaced again to coop with PAL
> standard.

If you do that (deinterlace, then interlace again) you lose half of the
"framerate" if you're using normal plugins for deinterlacing..

interlaced tv is 50/60 fields/sec, and after deinterlacing you usually end
up with 25/30 frames/sec.. half of the "motion/movement information" just
disappeared.

end result is that your live video (series,sports,news) starts to look like
jerky and shaky..

If you have interlaced output best option would be to display each field as
it comes in (1:1).. then you would get "best possible" quality.

If you have progressive display device, then best option is to use "full-fps"
deinterlacing, meaning 50 fields/sec ends up 50 frames/sec, or even 100
frames/sec containing all the motion/movement info..

-- Pasi