Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.8.0 plugin

On Tuesday 13 November 2007 13:50:42 mike lewis wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 7:12 PM,  <syrius.ml@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > "mike lewis" <lachlanlewis@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I've used vdr-xine, and I've used xinelibout for vdr.  I've just ogt a
> > > general question, as they both seem to have similar functionality (or
> > > at least they both satisfy my need for a software client head to vdr.
> > > What's the driver for vdr-xine?  I've heard people say xinelibout is
> > > "better" because it is more stable.  But, whats the reality?
> >
> > If you've used both you should be able to compare them, shouldn't you ?
>
> Well no, as I used them in the past and my media box died; and my
> memory isn't all that good.. so now I'm re-assessing my new solution
> based on running linux on a ps3; and I can't compare them until I've
> installed them both...  Which is basically what I want to avoid ;-).
>
> > I've also used both.
> > Now i'm only using xineliboutput because (just facts, no attack !)
> > - it has support for network without patching for longer
> > - it doesn't require me to recompile libxine
> > - network features are more advanced
> > - i can have more that one frontend watching/sharing the same channel.
> > - now i just aptitude install libxine1-xvdr to install the client side.
>
> Yes, the "support" for users like me on something like ubuntu is one
> reason why i'm likely to go down the path xinelibout.
>
> > Obviously the two plugins are both great plugins.
> > And, Reinhard you do a really good job providing patches for vdr &
> > xine ! Thanks a lot.
> >
> > I guess the hidden question was "have you ever considered to merge the
> > two projects ?", wasn't it ? :)
>
> Well no, my question probably should have been: whats the difference
> between the two plugins; if I'm using either simply as a software
> headend (similar to softdevice, but not permanently on) is their any
> feature which would drive the selection of xinelibout over vdr-xine?
>
> > My question would be: "one vdr, one xineliboutput plugin, 2 dvb cards,
> > 2 independant frontends displaying different channels(+osd and
> > stuff) without streamdev, has it been considered ?" :)
>
> I think the answer there is to use one vdr per head-end.
>
> Thanks for jumping on board the Q&A session!  hehe.'
>
> Mick

Hi,

Using my PS3 as a vdr client is also my target. But I experienced bad
(de-)interlacing when watching SD TV using SD output (even with right
resolution). I am now waiting the new HV xorg driver to have more control on
the video than the already available fb blit mechanism. I did rewrite the fb
driver of xinelib to enhace it with ps3 blit functionality and virtual fb but
it did not improve the output quality. By the way, the PS3 have a colorspace
issue to display the OSD with proper color palette under the fb. (X is not
affected by this)

Actually I am using streamdev and xineliboutput together.
Xineliboutput is good to pilot the server side from any linux based system.
Streamdev + FF card + vdr is the best deal for client device (I am using this
solution over wifi and it works like a charm)
Streamdev + m3u patch is ideal to use VLC with playlist and allow Win OS to
access the TV programs.

If you want to start developping good SD support for the PS3 I would be
pleased to provide some help.

Cheers,

Alex