Re: Configuring vdr-sxfe to use a single vdr backend for recordings/dvb cards

Hi,

yesterday evening i followed your setup to create 1 client.
Server : VDR & VDR2 server
Client : vdr-sxfe

When i run the second VDR server i can't switch channels. It's bloked on channels attached to the first transponder (hope you understand what i mean). plz help...

cheers,
'Z

2007/6/28, Alasdair Campbell <ragawu@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 18/06/07, Alasdair Campbell <ragawu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16/06/07, Petri Hintukainen <phintuka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 19:16 +0100, Alasdair Campbell wrote:
> > > Is it possible to have one of the VDR 'servers/instances' to be
> > > running on one of the clients rather than the main server pc?
> >
> > Yes. Then you don't need the -D option.
> >
> > > The exact same setup except Client2 has an instance of VDR running in the
> > > background with 1 dvb card saving files to the server's /video mounted
> > > over nfs.
> > > Ideally all Clients + Master VDR Server will see channels on Client
> > > 2's satellite feed and be able to register timers on that server.
> >
> > This is more complicated :)
> >
> > I think you need to set every timer manually to the system where it is
> > supposed to be recorded. Timersync won't work as it disables all
> > recording at client(s). Using timersync and enabling recording at the
> > client won't work if you use streamdev: both systems will see the same
> > channels and would record the same timers in paraller.
> >
> > Maybe something like this might work:
> > VDR1: (2x DVB-?):
> >   streamdev-server, streamdev-client connected to VDR2
> > VDR2: (1x DVB-S):
> >   streamdev-server, streamdev-client connected to VDR1
> > VDR3: (no DVB):
> >   2 instances of streamdev-client: one connected to VDR1 and another to
> > VDR2.
> >
> > Note that circular streamdev setup doesn't work without patching
> > ( http://www.vdr-developer.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=198 )
> >
> > > If there was a way for PCI buses to traverse networks, then the
> > > location of the 3rd card wouldn't be an issue, but I don't believe
> > > that's possible...
> >
> > No, but transferring the device interface (/dev/dvb/...) over network is
> > possible with something like nbd (network block device). I think I saw
> > similar redirector for DVB devices few years ago:
> > But it seems quite old and unmaintained.
>
> I remember reading about this years ago, if it could work then it
> would be ideal for my situation - maybe for others too. Vadim Epmak's
> address is bouncing so I'll ask on the DVB mailing list and see if
> anyone else ever got it up and running.
>
> I'm keen on trying it out myself, and have started reading about
> porting drivers to 2.6 kernels. Could be an interesting way to learn
> more C ;-)

In hindsight, I believe learning C on my own by porting a driver to
the 2.6 kernel was a tad optimistic..

Sill won't compile, and I haven't got to grips with the changes in the
dvb api from when this was written.

No response yet on the linuxtv list. I'll keep working at the code -
it could be a fun way to learn, and the principle seems quite
straight-forward.