Re: Configuring vdr-sxfe to use a single vdr backend for recordings/dvb cards

On 09/06/07, Petri Hintukainen <phintuka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 18:15 +0100, Andrew Herron wrote:
> > I have several networked vdr machines that i want to use to connect
> > back to the 'server' vdr machine. The networked vdr machines will have
> > no dvb cards (they will all be located at the vdr server). How do i
> > configure my vdr client machines to connect back to the server vdr
> > machine and use its dvb cards/recording storage etc?
> >
> > Can anyone give some guidance on this type of setup or point me at a
> > url where I can find out about such a config?
>
> If you don't watch different recordings / channels at the same time you
> can just run vdr-sxfe at each client and connect to the single VDR
> server. You'll get same video + OSD mirrored to all locations.
>
> But, if you need to have independently controlled clients with own video
> and OSD, you need to run several instances of VDR - it doesn't matter if
> you run all VDR instances on server or at each client. I run several VDR
> instances on the server:
>  - less maintenance, only one installation of VDR and
>    plugins required
>  - allows using diskless clients (and with less memory)
>  - Faster cutting / DVD burning / ... as there is no
>    network between VDR and disks
>  - no need to export/mount /video to every client
>  - ...
>
> Here's how I do it:
>
>  master VDR: DVB cards, recordings, server for client 1:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37890" \
>         -Pstreamdev-server
>  server for client 2:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr2 \
>         -D 10 \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37892" \
>         -Pstreamdev-client
>  server for client 3:
>     vdr -c /etc/vdr3 \
>         -D 10 \
>         -P"xineliboutput --local=none --remote=37894" \
>         -Pstreamdev-client
>
> + other options / plugins you normally use.
>
> Using -D 10 option for client VDR instances "forces" all DVB cards for
> master VDR. Streamdev plugin is used to provide live view for client
> VDR's, it is not required to just watch recordings.
> You must use separate configuration directory for each VDR (-c option).
> Without it you'll most likely break all recordings (all VDRs record all
> timers in paraller to same recording directory).
>
> And at clients:
>   Client 1:
>     vdr-sxfe
>   Client 2:
>     vdr-sxfe xvdr://<server ip>:37892
>   Client 3:
>     vdr-sxfe xvdr://<server ip>:37894
>
> If you use RTP between vdr and vdr-sxfe, using separate RTP address or
> port for each xineliboutput server instance might be good idea.
>
> Also it might be good idea to disable recording at all but the "master"
> vdr. Recording the same timer on two VDR instances will most likely
> corrupt whole recording. Besides that, doing all recordings directly
> [...]

This system is just what I'm looking to create, however I have one or
two questions. (As usual..)

Is it possible to have one of the VDR 'servers/instances' to be
running on one of the clients rather than the main server pc? The
exact same setup except Client2 has an instance of VDR running in the
background with 1 dvb card saving files to the server's /video mounted
over nfs.

Ideally all Clients + Master VDR Server will see channels on Client
2's satellite feed and be able to register timers on that server.

If there was a way for PCI buses to traverse networks, then the
location of the 3rd card wouldn't be an issue, but I don't believe
that's possible...

There is currently no way for me to have all 3 DVB cards in the same box.

--
A l a s d a i r   C a m p b e l l

r a g a w u @ g m a i l . c o m