Re: Configuring vdr-sxfe to use a single vdr backend for recordings/dvb cards

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 14:15 +0100, Andrew Herron wrote:
> I would like all recordings to be managed/controlled by the
> master vdr as this would seem to be the best solution.
> However if I have say a single twin tuner DVB-T card and the
> master vdr is controlling all recordings is it still
> possible for the remote clients to schedule a recording via
> the master vdr if the timersync plugin is used? I think that
> you are saying this is possible... which is great!

Ÿes. All timer stuff works just as when using single VDR - if you set a
timer at any client, it is immediately transferred to server (and
visible to all other clients too). Plugin monitors timers state and
synchronices all timer changes between VDR instances. Only master vdr
does recordings, recording is completely disabled at all client VDRs
(there's no way to record anything on client VDR even if one wants to).

There's one restriction: With timersync you can't (at least yet) modify
timers that are currently recording - such timers can be modified only
at master VDR.

> I have created separate /etc/vdr2 & /etc/vdr3 directories
> by copying /etc/vdr Will this work ok?

Yes. Maybe you need to configure streamdev server address (127.0.0.1)
for clients, but you can do that from client setup menu when you have
client running.

Be sure to empty all client VDR timers.conf files, if timersync refuses
to load etc. you might end up having N*3 recordings running immediately
at startup :)

One more thing: using suspendoutput plugin with some proper timeout
value in every VDR instance might be good idea - it releases streamdev
VTP connection and server-side DVB devices for other use when the client
is not in use.

- Petri