Re: Configuring vdr-sxfe to use a single vdr backend for recordings/dvb cards

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 19:16 +0100, Alasdair Campbell wrote:
> Is it possible to have one of the VDR 'servers/instances' to be
> running on one of the clients rather than the main server pc?

Yes. Then you don't need the -D option.

> The exact same setup except Client2 has an instance of VDR running in the
> background with 1 dvb card saving files to the server's /video mounted
> over nfs.
> Ideally all Clients + Master VDR Server will see channels on Client
> 2's satellite feed and be able to register timers on that server.

This is more complicated :)

I think you need to set every timer manually to the system where it is
supposed to be recorded. Timersync won't work as it disables all
recording at client(s). Using timersync and enabling recording at the
client won't work if you use streamdev: both systems will see the same
channels and would record the same timers in paraller.

Maybe something like this might work:
VDR1: (2x DVB-?):
  streamdev-server, streamdev-client connected to VDR2
VDR2: (1x DVB-S):
  streamdev-server, streamdev-client connected to VDR1
VDR3: (no DVB):
  2 instances of streamdev-client: one connected to VDR1 and another to
VDR2.

Note that circular streamdev setup doesn't work without patching
( http://www.vdr-developer.org/mantisbt/view.php?id=198 )

> If there was a way for PCI buses to traverse networks, then the
> location of the 3rd card wouldn't be an issue, but I don't believe
> that's possible...

No, but transferring the device interface (/dev/dvb/...) over network is
possible with something like nbd (network block device). I think I saw
similar redirector for DVB devices few years ago:
But it seems quite old and unmaintained.

- Petri