Re: VDR shutdown question

Norbert Goebel wrote:> Why is this done in this order and not like this:> > a) check the shutdown-hooks and if those exit with exitcode=0 do b) else > abort the shutdown sequence without a message (exception: the script > wants to be verbose and does it itself)> b) display shutdown abort message> c) wait for the timeout and shutdown if it happens
The purpose of the shutdown script has never been to report whether shutdown is possible or not. The only purpose of the shutdown script is to shut down the computer and kill VDR, or do nothing. There was never any return code defined that indicates shutdown-readiness, nor was the return code ever checked.
Your strategy would therefore be a completely new shutdown script that is more like a check-for-activity script, and that would still require another script that actually does the shutdown after all.
Such a functionality could also be implemented by a simple plugin that reports plugin activity based on return codes from an external script.

> I for example am trying and trying to get rid of the onscreen message > "Taste drücken, um Ausschalten abzubrechen" automatically
btw, since VDR 1.5.1 (or 1.4.x with the shutdown rewrite patch), this message got replaced by a fancier "VDR will shut down in x:xx minutes" message, that counts down in 10-second steps, and that does no longer block most of VDR for 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Udo
_______________________________________________vdr mailing listvdr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://www.linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/vdr