FF card A/V sync suggestion

On 22 Oct 2006, at 22:56, C.Y.M wrote:

> Torgeir Veimo wrote:

>>> Yes, if the extra CPU load by mplayer is not even noticeable when
>>> playing back
>>> VDR recordings, and it is not prone to any type or desync, then I
>>> vote
>>> we all
>>> try to figure out what mplayer is doing and repeat it. Whats a few
>>> extra CPU
>>> cycles if it becomes much much more stable in the end.
>>
>> The reason i mentioned the dvbplayer.c thread, is that this
>> problem was
>> mitigated by using different code to feed the softdevice mpeg2
>> decoder;
>> using softplay to playback recordings provided dropout free playback.
>> I'm not sure if softplay works with FF cards, but you might get the
>> source at softdevice.berlios.de to give it a try.
>>

> I use xine with my FF card and it works flawlessly and fixes all my
> problems,
> but since I never had trouble with the FF card when just watching
> live TV, I
> thought it was such a waste of CPU to have to use software decoding
> for
> everything. I only have problems when playing back recordings with
> the FF card.

I wasn't talking about using different decoding software, I was
talking about trying some other piece of code thant dvbplayer.c to
read the recording from disk and feeding the hardware decoder. The
softplay plugin is such a different playback mechanism (but I can't
guarrantee that it works with an FF card). My thesis is that there
are issues with dvbplayer.c, which only show under certain
circumstances. One such ciscumstance is using a budget card with
softdevice playback of recordings, and a powerfull cpu.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir@xxxxxxxxx