FF card A/V sync suggestion

Torgeir Veimo wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2006, at 20:22, C.Y.M wrote:
>

>> Yes, it still happens on every firmware revision.  But, I really dont
>> think this
>> is a firmware issue as much as it is a VDR one.  There must be several
>> ways to
>> approach this problem but the best way would be an open source
>> solution IMHO. If
>> mplayer can successfully forward the video every time straight to the
>> FF card
>> w/o any transcoding, then why cant VDR do the same thing?  Im sure
>> someone can
>> post links to problematic recordings if you need some to test with.
>
> Could anyone with this problem see if they have high cpu utilization in
> the dvbplayer.c thread when the sync problems occur?

Are you thinking that mplayer might be dropping bad frames more efficiently than
VDR?  Is it possible that VDR is not dropping the bad frames properly, thus
causing dvbplayer.c to struggle when processing/forwarding the video to the FF
DVB card? This is the command used when playing back DVB compliant VDR
recordings to a FF card with mplayer:

mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -framedrop -cache 4096 -slave -nolirc -quiet 001.vdr

Notice that "-framedrop" is added to the command line.  I wonder if that is the
reason why mplayer is "immune" to the a/v desync problem.

Best Regards.