AW: AW: Doubling my available VDR disk space without cost or loss of convenience.

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:31:56 +0200, you wrote:

>So Carsten, you talk about archiving. Then you should definitely go for h264
>coding, with constant quality.
>Why keep everything online? What is the aim of having terra bytes online? It
>costs a lot of energy.

I have a similar setup like Carsten (2.5 TB currently). So the main
reason why keeping everything online is convenience. The users of the
four clients have instant online access to all recordings without going
through the hassle of looking for the DVD. The other point is that I
already have lost several DVDs because of reading errors over time. Disk
storage together with Raid5 is very reliable. If one disk fails then you
replace it with a new one (five year warranty of Maxtor). At the same
time you may upgrade to larger disks.

>Coding and burning to an offline media would help a lot then.

This is to much work.

>And BTW: even your mp3 collection is larger than you can listen to it in one
>year!

That doesn't matter. Important ist that I have instant access.

Emil