Digit buttons in cMenuEditStrItem work poorly

I demand that Marko M?kel? may or may not have written...

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 06:00:02PM +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
>> I demand that Marko M?kel? may or may not have written...
[snip]
>>> Also the vanilla cx88-input.c in linux-2.6.16.9 is buggy and sets the
>>> repeat flag when it shouldn't (when a button is pressed in rapid
>>> succession).  I'll try to come up with a working kernel patch later.

>> In the Hauppauge section of the switch block in cx88_ir_irq, watch for the
>> state of bit 11 of ircode being changed between successive reads. I'll
>> stick something in my patchset...

> Rather than watching the toggle bit, I'd compare whole codes.  It leads to
> a simpler program, and it avoids losing events.  For instance, if three
> buttons are pressed, A, B, and C, and the code for B is lost, then watching
> only the toggle bit would cause all events for C to be discarded.

I don't think so: in ir_input_keydown, the different key code will cause
ir->keypressed to be set to 0 and the key to be released (although the test
probably should be on ir_key, not the translated value).

> FWIW, the culprit was not the patched cx88-input.c, but instead the RCU
> would not flip the toggle bit when a button is pressed in rapid succession.
> So, it would misreport rapid keypress events as repeat events.

I see this here too: both R808 and A415 show this, so my budget-ci patch is
affected too. Obviously, there's nothing that can be done about this if the
*same* key is repeatedly pressed rapidly :-)

> My patch against 2.6.15.2 applies cleanly on 2.6.16.9 and fixes the
> problem.  It is a quick hack, because it modifies ir-common.c, wrongly
> assuming that the parameter ir_raw contains a RC5 code word.

Agreed; it's up to the driver to do the check and to call ir_input_keydown or
ir_input_nokey accordingly. That said, I'm not convinced that there's a
problem with my testing of bit 11.

Putting the first-repeat discard in ir_input_keydown (as you've done) seems
reasonable to me; anybody else?

| + Buy less and make it last longer.         INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

Mental Floss prevents Moral Decay.