VDR and MythTV

O S?bado 04 de Marzo de 2006 ?s 14:20, Dag dic?a:

>Anyway I wonder if there are anyone here that have made this
>"jump" and can tell me what I am going to miss and what I will like
>before I take the big step.

	Here are some of my opinions:

- Channel changes in LiveTV are much faster in VDR (MythTV with DVB-T is
  painful, and I think this still applies to 0.19)  It's also more
  reliable (MythTV 0.18 often crashed when zapping a lot, I don't know if
  it's better now)
- LiveTV is not recorded to disk in VDR, unless you pause it.  This means
  you can't say "I missed that one, let's go back and see it again" as with
  MythTV.
- Programming recordings is easier in VDR, especially for non-tech users.
  It's not so heavily epg-oriented as MythTV.  This is good for countries
  like Spain where you can't trust the epg timetables.
- You have DVB radios in VDR, I think they're not yet available in MythTV.

	And about the plugins:

- No (dis)advantages on watching DVDs, and the same for DivX/etc if you use
  xineplayer from xine plugin (it needs no reencoding)
- VDR doesn't compare to MythTV for viewing images.  This is the reason why
  I still stick to MythTV, as my parents spend a lot of time viewing
  photos.  I use MythTV for this, and VDR for everything else.

--
Unha aperta,
Jes?s Bravo ?lvarez