VDR netboot image

Dave schrieb:
> Peer Oliver Schmidt wrote:
>> Dave,

>> [..]
>>
>>> www.etherboot.org, this web site will make you the rom image, then
>>> you need the chip, mine was a 27c16 I think, then a programmer to
>>> burn the prom chip.   The web site supports most any network card
>>> that has a spot for a 28 pin chip, etc.
>>
>> Thanks for the info. I am looking for the remote root file to send to
>> the diskless client. Any pointers for this?!
>
> I used gentoo, the boot rom will request a kernel from a tftp server,
> and send it to the client, and boot the kernel, so you have to spin up a
> kernel for that client, you can use the diskless nodes howto at gentoo
> wiki to get a better idea.
>
> A lot of newer motherboards will use PXE boot, therefore no boot rom
> needed.

I'm using Fedoras' "system-config-netboot" feature, which creates a
network bootable system from a previously installed Fedora OS. It
creates a "read only" base system, and r/w mounts parts that need to be
written to. That way you can share the read only base between multiple
clients, and they only take a few MB for their r/w data.
It also creates the pxelinux config, all you have to do is activate it
in dhcpd.conf

I'm using a full blown Fedora image as read-only root (1.6GB), and the
clients take up about 160MB (with 50MB v4l source and ~70MB vdr
sources). The Client doesn't support PXE, so I used a Boot-CD created
from www.rom-o-matic.net.

Andreas