Streamdev-client and shared video recordings directories.

I have a streamdev server-client set up here, the server has 2 dvb
cards, and handles all the recording.  The client with no dvb cards
using streamdev-client, shares the /video0 and /video1 directories via
NFS mount, as well as epg.data.  The client only ever reads from the
epg.data. The client is a diskless node, and boots via etherboot across
the network from the vdr server machine.

My problem is that whilst the server is busy taping recordings, the
client wont see any new recordings until its restarted and does another
video directory scan.    Is there a way to do this scan every so often
so recordings will show up on the client?  I imagine if I wanted to
delete recordings from the client, that they as well would appear not
deleted on the server, until it was also restarted.

Any thoughts on how to get around this (force video directory scan?,
occasional video directory scan by VDR?)