Xine Compile error when trying to use XvMC?

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:26:13 -0600
Chad Flynt <hoochster@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello again! :)
>
> Trying to compile Xine with XvMC, I am using Debian and have setup I
> believe the wrapper fine, which was packages in Debian, I am on AMD64,
> but once I do the compile I get the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCW.a(XvMCWrapper.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
> shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCW.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
>
> Not completely sure on how to compile with the -fPIC, I think it is just
> CXXFLAGS=-fPIC before the make, but looking at the Makefile it appears
> as though info like that is already in there, and I get the same error
> regardless.  Any idears?  I am using Xine CVS from bout the 26th of January.

There seems to be a missing symbolic link in the Debian X.org library
package that prevents the linker from seeing the libXvMCW.so.1.0 shared
library, so that it tries to use the static one instead. I fixed this by:
    ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCW.so.1.0 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCW.so

Most of the x64-64 MMX-optimization problems should now be fixed in the
latest Xine CVS. Xine developer Miguel Freitas has been doing a lot
of nice work this weekend.

I still had the chcon problem on Debian unstable though. If you get an
error from chcon during install, move it away for a while
(mv /usr/bin/chcon /usr/bin/chcon-backup) and run "make install" again.
This could be a problem with my system only. I'll need to check it before
reporting a bug to the Xine developers.

--
Niko Mikkil?