Key-repeat or release magic in RCU drivers

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 10:36:32PM +0000, Darren Salt wrote:
> > For what it is worth, the driver of the bundled Hauppauge Nova-T RCU in the
> > Linux kernel 2.6.12 and later will even map key-repeat to a timer. That is,
> > if it gets a repeated RC5 frame within the timeout, it will keep generating
> > key-repeat events, at a different rate.
>
> > This makes many things inaccurate, such as scrolling in menus.
>
> I don't see how: with the unmodified budget-ci, it's slow enough...

RC5 frames are repeated every 113.8 ms (64*T, T=16/9 ms).  The key-release
timeout in cx88-input.c is 120 ms.  I can't locate the repeat timer value in
the sources now, but I think it was less than 100 ms.  In your patch, you
have defined IR_MIN_REPEAT_PERIOD to 133, so it should not be a problem.
However, you also have IR_MIN_REPEAT_DELAY equal to 250 ms, which means that
the first repeated RC5 frame will not result in any event.

> > I would very much like to have a direct correspondence between repeated RC5
> > frames and key-repeat events, but I could not figure out how to do this in
> > cx88-input.c
>
> cx88? That'd be the newer Nova-T, not the Nova-T :-)

Well, Nova-T 90002 REV C176, then. :-)

> I've posted a set of patches to the v4l list which should be of some help;
> you should have a look at budget-ci after applying the patches, which you can
> also get from here:
>   <URL:http://ymbj/progs/linux/dvb-ir-20060129.patch.tar.gz>

Hmm, I may be mistaken, but it looks to me as if your patches try to do the
same thing for older cards as the new Nova-T driver already does.  What I
would really like to have is to map every RC5 frame either to a key-press or
to a key-repeat, and a timer for generating key-release events.  Does any
existing driver (or patch) do that?

	Marko