Key-repeat or release magic in RCU drivers

I demand that Marko M?kel? may or may not have written...

> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 05:23:13PM +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>>> Well, maybe this is a general flaw of cLircRemote? Doesn't LIRC provide
>>> the information that the key has been released? That would make it
>>> unnecessary to wait for such a long time (REPEATDELAY) before signaling a
>>> "release".
>> I don't think it does (at least irw doesn't report anything on key
>> release), but even if it did surely it'd have to use a timeout to detect
>> that there's nothing more coming from the remote, so the problem would be
>> the same (unless the remote itself sends something to signal a key
>> release).

> I don't think any remote sends anything on key release.  The codes usually
> allow distinguishing initial keypress events from key-repeat events.  At
> key-release, the transmission simply stops.

This is true...

> For what it is worth, the driver of the bundled Hauppauge Nova-T RCU in the
> Linux kernel 2.6.12 and later will even map key-repeat to a timer. That is,
> if it gets a repeated RC5 frame within the timeout, it will keep generating
> key-repeat events, at a different rate.

> This makes many things inaccurate, such as scrolling in menus.

I don't see how: with the unmodified budget-ci, it's slow enough...

> I would very much like to have a direct correspondence between repeated RC5
> frames and key-repeat events, but I could not figure out how to do this in
> cx88-input.c

cx88? That'd be the newer Nova-T, not the Nova-T :-)

> or ir-common.c.

I've posted a set of patches to the v4l list which should be of some help;
you should have a look at budget-ci after applying the patches, which you can
also get from here:
  <URL:http://ymbj/progs/linux/dvb-ir-20060129.patch.tar.gz>

(You need to apply the keymaps patches first.)

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @                      Say NO to UK ID cards
|                                                       http://www.no2id.net/

They just buzzed and buzzed... and buzzed.