GPL Licensing?

DVB WannaB wrote:
> I don't know the proper rules and all, but I didn't think it was legal
> to sell something that was Open Source or GPL as what VDR is?  I don't
> know how all of the authors of all the VDR Plugins and Klaus himself
> feel about others making money off of their hard work, and I hate to see
> things change.  But thought people should be aware there are a couple of
> people out there trying to make money off of your work.  Someone is
> selling a VDR Live CD, there is a thread about it on dvbn.happysat.org
> <http://dvbn.happysat.org>  Just wanted to let you guys know.  I hope
> that a stop is put to that, cuz I think that is just wrong.
>
> Thanks to all that help make this software what it is.

The GPL allows that.

The only obstacle imposed by the GPL is that you have to provide the source
of the Software. When the source is included everything is fine.

Otherwise the 'vendor' has to provide the source on request.
Only if the 'vendor' doesn't provide the source they are in legal violation.

So selling GPL-software is perfectly fine as long as you play be the rules.

If someone doesn't want their GPL-software sold, they have choosen the
wrong license. The GPL doesn't allow restriction of selling the software
for profit. You have to use another license if you don't want you software
to be sold for profit or want to be asked beforehand.

But IANAL. This is the digest from several 'license-flamewars' on the Linux
kernel-maillinglist. :-)