Xine and CPU Usage

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:08:21 -0600
Chad Flynt <hoochster@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you much for your reply, I did do a vanilla 2.6.16-rc1 kernel and
> as far as I know selected all the proper agp stuff for my board but ya
> know I can easily make a mistake, only reason I didn't do 64bit kernel
> etc is cuz didn't know if all of VDR and plugins etc were fully
> supported in 64 bit, haven't really kept up with it since I wasn't
> running VDR with it! :)  But I will give it a go!  And as far as X goes,
> if I can find a good Video Conferencing product for X I would LOVE to
> combine that with VDR or if had to be run in a diff window for the
> purpose, that is how my parents see their grandkids, and one of the only
> reasons I still have a Winblows box still around!  But I would guess
> running X would definately give me an advantage to finding such a
> thing.  Will check it out, running Matrox G550 but do have some NVIDIA
> cards around have some friends that keep bugging me about XVMC just
> haven't gotten around to it due to refusing to install X! :)  But will
> try.  Thanks again for all the tips, will report back any of my findings.

Actually I have a _very_ similar situation with Matrox G450 and an
Athlon64 2800+ on Via K8T800 Pro chipset. I use X.org, but the G450
seems to be awfully slow and I can't even display 720p properly. I
always thought the problem was that the card just wasn't fast enough (I
didn't really test HDTV on my earlier system), but your experience on a
slower system shows that there must be something else going on. I use a
completely 64-bit system and I have set the Matrox X drivers to use AGP
4x, but that doesn't help much. Even mga_vid with MPlayer causes about as
high CPU usage as Xv output. This seems like some sort of hardware
incompatibility, or otherwise bad AGP support for the Via K8T800 -
Matrox Gxxx combination. I've been troubled by this for some time, so
please tell if you find any solution :)

--
Niko Mikkil?