Xine and CPU Usage

I recently got xine up and running on an AMD 2600+ and all seemed to be
working fine, I am wanting to do High Definition and it was coming close
to maxing out the cpu and just wasn't perfect on the HDTV channels.  So
I decided to swap it out with one of my other systems.  I changed it out
for a 64 Bit 3500+.  I didn't compile my kernel in 64 bit mode, but
otherwise as far as I can tell, set everything back up the same as it
was before.  All works, but my CPU usage is much higher just on normal
channels and on High Definition it really isn't that high but I get
jerky picture quality on any High Def Channel and I didn't have that on
the slower system.  My cpu on the slower system would run bout 5-10%
with Xine, and hit 80-90% on HDTV and that high the pic quality just
wasn't the best it could be but it was smooth.  On the faster pc, I
average bout 17-20+% on regular channels, which seems very high compared
to the other, and on HDTV I am only running bout 60% but I am sure that
is cuz of the jerkyness and it just not being smooth.

My question is, is there anything I missed maybe?  I just ran default
settings on the old system and tried on the new and running into this, I
haven't tried messing with deinterlacers or anything like that, mainly
cuz I don't know enough about them.  The only thing I can think of is
the chipsets.  The old system ran a Nivida 2 chipset and the new system
runs a Via K8t800Pro VT8237 chipset.  Is there something I should do
differntly?  Any suggestion are gladly welcomed.

Also trying to get the onboard SPDIF to work, haven't tried installing
Mplayer yet to test it, but can't for the life of me make it work via
Xine, even with the Pass Through set etc, hopefully missing something on
that too.

Thanks for any suggestions.