conditional access and restarting

Jouni Karvo wrote:
> hi,
>
> perhaps it is just me, but I have some problems with recordings from
> encrypted channels...
>
> When there is no valid EMM received to the card, it naturally does not
> show the channel.  My problem is that when in live viewing, there is
> just the xine-originated "No Signal" text on the screen, and
> everything works fine.  When the EMM arrives, the card starts
> decrypting and the channel appears.
>
> But:  When there is a timed recording, vdr tries to get data by
> restarting, which is naturally the wrong way to try to receive an EMM
> from the cable...
>
> Naturally, when there is a valid EMM already on the card, there are no
> problems in either case, but decrypting starts immediately.

VDR doesn't "try to get data by restarting". When a recording is active,
and there is no data received for a certain time, VDR assumes that there
is something wrong with the driver/firmware/whatever and initiates a reload
of the driver (actually the surrounding wrapper script is supposed to do
this, so VDR just exists with a specific return value).

When VDR is started, it waits until all CAMs are ready, so that any
timer for an encrypted channel could start immediately.

Klaus