which tv-out card?

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:48:04 +0100
Leo M?rquez <leo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want help a friend to set a budget cards based (dvb-t and dvb-s) vdr
> box in a standard computer (not micro-atx)
> I don't have the hardware info (only cpu athlon 1800) but the connector
> to be used is s-video to scart-tv. We have planned to set softdevice and
> use the tv-out of a vga card to connect it to the tv.
> Do you recommend any vga card or any kind work with softdevice?.
> I need directfb or only softdevice?
>
> I have no experience with softdevice. I actually have an epia system but
> with a ff nexus card.
>
> Thanks.

Hi,

I would not recommend using the tv-out of a graphics card. It will
break interlacing, so you'll get a lot worse motion quality than
with a FF-card or Dxr3/Hollywood+. It won't matter if you only
watch movies, but for sports, news and other live video it will be bad.

If you still wish to go for softdevice or vdr-xine (I'd recommend
the latter for its deinterlacing modes), setting things up will
be easiest eith a cheap nVidia card and X.org instead of DirectFB.
Anything newer than GeForce 4 MX440 is easy to setup for TwinView,
so don't waste money on a new board if you have one of these lying
around. You may not even need a window manager for X, or only a very
light one (twm, fvwm) so the startup time is almost the same with that
combination as with DirectFB.

Dualhead Matrox cards (G400-G550) would be better for tv-output,
but they are harder to setup. With them it is better to use DirectFB
and it would even be possible to preserve interlacing, but I'm
not sure if softdevice supports that.

--
Niko Mikkil?