which tv-out card?

Leo M?rquez wrote:
> I don't have the hardware info (only cpu athlon 1800) but the connector
> to be used is s-video to scart-tv. We have planned to set softdevice and
> use the tv-out of a vga card to connect it to the tv.

Personally I use a DXR3 card as is mentioned elsewhere. Another card
that I've tried briefly is the PVR350, see http://ivtvdriver.org/
Both cards have a good quality S-Video TV-Out but the DXR3 plugin seemed
to work a little better then the PVR350 plugin.

My personal experience seems to be that most TV-Out on VGA cards are
designed to run best at 60Hz output for the US market. When configured
to run in 50Hz PAL, for a UK TV, it seems like the VGA modelines are
still clocked at 60Hz with some (poor) down-conversion to 50Hz being
done in the TV-Out circuitry. This looks fine on static content but any
movement results in juddering or blurring. This is especially noticeable
on the scrolling text trackers often present on news programmes.

This doesn't appear to be just a pure interlacing problem. I've tried
tweaking the 50Hz TV-out of EPIA, NVidia & ATI VGA systems and none of
them match the quality of hardware designed for dedicated TV usage, e.g.
DXR3, PVR350 (and presumably the FF cards although I've not tried one
myself.).

	Jon