VDR crash freezing computer !

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:45:43 +0100
michaelip@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Selon Niko Mikkila <nm@xxxxxxxx>:
>

> > The PREEMPT messages suggest that you have kernel preemption enabled.
> > That may be a bad idea with Dxr3, so try to compile a new kernel without it.
> >
> > If that doesn't help, check that Dxr3 doesn't share interrupts with any other
> > device (cat /proc/interrupts). Then you could add some delays to the scripts
> > so that the card has enough time to initialize properly. It is best to load
> > the dxr3 stuff in some script using modprobe with "sleep 2" after the module
> >
> > --
> > Niko Mikkil?
> >

> Hello.
> I have two devices listening at the same IRQ !
>
> Here is the output of the cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:     101477          XT-PIC  timer
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:       2086          XT-PIC  lirc_serial
>   5:          0          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd:usb1
>   9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
>  11:       1017          XT-PIC  Skystar2, eth0
>  12:       6235          XT-PIC  em8300
>  14:       3273          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:         13          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> The network card share the same IRQ than my DVB card !
> Could I swap one of these card on IRQ 10, knowing that the network card is an
> intergrated one ?

This probably doesn't cause the crashes, but I think I had some problems
receiving DVB in a similar IRQ setup when there was high network traffic.
With some motherboards you can change the IRQ mapping in the BIOS.
Otherwise you could try swapping the Skystar2 to some other PCI slot.
Personally, I had to enable IO-APIC in the kernel to get enough available
interrupts for all the cards. Ideally the devices should work fine
with shared interrupts, but there may be bugs in drivers and the hardware
that cause various problems.

--
Niko Mikkil?