VDR crash freezing computer !

Selon Niko Mikkila <nm@xxxxxxxx>:

> On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:37:17 +0100
> michaelip@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> >
> > Often when starting my computer, vdr crashes without any specific reason
> and
> > freezes the computer ! Nothing is possible/available on my comnputer ! I
> just
> > have to reset it !
> >
> > Looking at syslog files, I have a long list of kernel PREEMPT, the last one
> > freezing the computer !
> >
> > Most of this PREMPT finishes with the following line:
> > Nov  3 07:18:39 localhost kernel:  <1>Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
> > dereference at virtual address 00000020
> >
> > The first PREMPT occurs after a problem on DXR3 card !
> >
> > Nov  3 07:18:23 localhost vdr[3105]: dxr3: fatal: microcode upload failed:
> Timer
> > expired
> > Nov  3 07:18:23 localhost kernel: em8300: DICOM Update failed
> > Nov  3 07:18:23 localhost kernel: em8300_video.c: Video Fifo timeout
> > Nov  3 07:18:23 localhost vdr[2470]: dxr3: resuscitation: device failure or
> user
> > initiated reset
> >
> > I have a long list of call traces... It seems that problems cames from a
> badly
> > managed page fault !
> >
> > I don't know what to do... Does anyone have a suggestion of what I could do
> in
> > order to avoid this ? What could I look in the syslog also ?
> >
> > Many thanks for any help.
> >

> >    Michael
> >

> The PREEMPT messages suggest that you have kernel preemption enabled.
> That may be a bad idea with Dxr3, so try to compile a new kernel without it.
>
> If that doesn't help, check that Dxr3 doesn't share interrupts with any other
> device (cat /proc/interrupts). Then you could add some delays to the scripts
> so that the card has enough time to initialize properly. It is best to load
> the dxr3 stuff in some script using modprobe with "sleep 2" after the module
>
> --
> Niko Mikkil?

Hello.
I have two devices listening at the same IRQ !

Here is the output of the cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     101477          XT-PIC  timer
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  4:       2086          XT-PIC  lirc_serial
  5:          0          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd:usb1
  9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi
 11:       1017          XT-PIC  Skystar2, eth0
 12:       6235          XT-PIC  em8300
 14:       3273          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:         13          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

The network card share the same IRQ than my DVB card !
Could I swap one of these card on IRQ 10, knowing that the network card is an
intergrated one ?

Many thanks for your help.