image/sound stutter when watching live, but not in the processed recording

Hi,
I am using vdr with the xine output plugin. When I tune to a certain
channel the image stutters slightly, and the sound is off for more than
half of the time. I thought this is the result of a bad signal, but the
femon Plugin showed similar signal strength/ snr for all channels.
Now i discovered the following: The divx file vdrconvert produces from
recordings from that channel is as bad as watching that channel life;
but the mpg file that vdrconvert uses temporarily in a certain encoding step
is absolutely fluent without any stutter in image or sound!
I have no clue why the quality is so bad when watching the channel
life, because i guess the received data is o.k. My System is powerful
enough, the load is not more than 60% when using vdr. What is going on
there?
Borghart