Feature request for suspend patch

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 12:44:26PM +0300, Seppo Ingalsuo wrote:
> I have earlier used pausing a recording for suspension and the pause
> sign in OSD gives good indication about vdr state. Would it be possible
> to optionally display a "Suspended" message in OSD when in suspended
> mode? It would help my family members using vdr to notice that home AV
> routings are setup correctly and vdr video & audio just needs to be
> activated by pressing power key from remote.

I will think about that.  It is not straightforward, because the
suspension works at a very low level, completely independently of the
high-level player functions.  (Can you say 'hack'?)

The "Suspended" message would have to change location every few seconds,
in order to avoid burning the message on the screen.  I'm afraid I have
no idea how to do this in vdr.

> With softdevice & x11 it could be also feasible to allow xscreensaver to
> handle the screen when entering suspended mode and vice versa when
> leaving suspension but that would probably need to go to softdevice x11
> plugin internals.

Yes, that definitely is in the domain of softdevice.

What could be done relatively easily is a patch to softdevice that would
listen to cStatus::SetSuspended() and activate or deactivate the
screensaver accordingly.

	Marko