[OT] not bored yet...

In <4DA4231EE4%linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Darren Salt wrote:

> I demand that Klaus Schmidinger may or may not have written...
>
> > Lucian Muresan wrote:
> [snip]
> >> It's simply a pain to follow such a thread when the topic changes all
> >> over. Such a pity that it's not possible for the author of a message to
> >> check some flag preventing replies, I'm almost sure Klaus would have
> >> turned on such a switch on these anouncements.
>
> > Well, maybe the "Followup-to:" header could help here, but I'm not sure
> > whether there is one that prevents any replies to a message. "Followup-to:
> > poster" explicitly directs replies to the original author
>
> ... in newsgroup context.
>
> In list context, Mail-Followup-To and Mail-Reply-To are useful, but support
> for these isn't (yet?) sufficiently widespread. (The software which I'm using
> supports M-F-T but not M-R-T.)

I know I'm guilty of contributing to one of these announce threads
recently, so sorry for that, but at least mine wasn't a 1st generation
reply.

What about using the above headers to redirect to an auto-responder set
up to ask the author to change the subject and resend to the list.

Or just putting something like, "PLEASE CHANGE THE SUBJECT IF YOU REPLY
TO THIS" in capitals at the top of every announcement might help a lot.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk