[OT] not bored yet...

I demand that Klaus Schmidinger may or may not have written...

> Lucian Muresan wrote:
[snip]
>> It's simply a pain to follow such a thread when the topic changes all
>> over. Such a pity that it's not possible for the author of a message to
>> check some flag preventing replies, I'm almost sure Klaus would have
>> turned on such a switch on these anouncements.

> Well, maybe the "Followup-to:" header could help here, but I'm not sure
> whether there is one that prevents any replies to a message. "Followup-to:
> poster" explicitly directs replies to the original author

... in newsgroup context.

In list context, Mail-Followup-To and Mail-Reply-To are useful, but support
for these isn't (yet?) sufficiently widespread. (The software which I'm using
supports M-F-T but not M-R-T.)

> - but that's not what I would want. Are there other keywords for this that
> could achieve the wanted goal?

I don't believe that there is one. Even if there were, it would have to be a
"should" rather than a "must".

> Plus: I'm not sure whether a "Followup-to:" header would correctly
> make it through the mailing list software. [...]

It does. It just doesn't necessarily work.

>> @Klaus: want to try including a notice in every such original
>> announcement, asking people to start new threads with specific problems
>> related to the new release?

> Do you really believe this would change anything? ;-)

No. OTOH, some carefully-crafted flames will certainly help ;-)

[snip]
--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| Debian,     | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org
| RISC OS     | Toon Army      | @
|   We've got Souness, we don't want him

Whatever you want to do, you have to do something else first.