Problem when no input signal

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 17:11 +0200, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na Klaus Schmidinger ha escrit:
>
> >> Try commenting out the lines
> >>
> >>   if (!HasLock(TUNER_LOCK_TIMEOUT)) {
> >>      esyslog("ERROR: device %d has no lock, can't attach receiver!",
> >> CardIndex() + 1);
> >>      return false;
> >>      }
> >>

> >> in device.c
> >

> > Maybe I should drop this timeout altogether, because it seems
> > like it's doing more bad than good...

Since we are discussing this issue again...

IMHO: drop the timeout.

Do we remember why this timeout was added in the first place?  My memory
is that it was added because some cards did not work well with filters
set when there was no lock.

IMHO, if this is the case its the drivers that need fixing.  VDR should
not have to have this work-around.

> I dropped it since you introduced it ;-)
> Dropping it altogether seems to do no harm for live-view but may cause
> problems for recordings and/or some plugins (e.g.the infamous
> ttxtsubtitles plugin) if there's no signal at once (like a signal
> problem or a steerable dish).
> I already proposed a possible solution
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/vdr/2005-August/004179.html
>
> but, as I said then, I'm not sure it's the correct one.

Again, IMHO, this seems fairly complex.  Why should vdr consult plugins
about this stuff?  I would have thought that vdr should be able to tell
when a signal is valid etc.

Perhaps just having a time value indicating how long the signal had been
locked would be enough.  Then things like channel update etc. could just
wait until there was (eg) 5 seconds of valid signal before it did
anything.