Which kernel to use?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
> Hello

Hi!

> which kernel is "best" for VDR?

I'd recommend latest vanilla kernel (2.6.11.something) with the drivers
it includes.

> On the one hand i read, that the DVB developers are only
> working on the 2.6. drivers and may (may be?) port them
> back to 2.4.x, if possible. I assume it will not be possible
> as "back porting" is no beloved job. ;-)

True.

> OTHO Klaus only tests with the 2.4 kernel, as he recomends
> still the linux-dvb.2004-12-26 driver, which can't be compiled
> with 2.6

Yes, but I don't see that much differences in the drivers, so you can
use what you want.

> But then i read that NTPL is used by VDR, a feature only existing
> in 2.6 kernel IIRC.

NPTL exists only in 2.6, yes. But VDR has had many problems when NPTL is
_enabled_, mainly because of some race conditions in VDR. NPTL is used
by default in _all_ threaded applications unless the
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.x is defined. By default VDR refuses to run if NPTL
is enabled.
However, the latest version, 1.3.24, works now for many people with NPTL
equally stable as with linuxthreads (NPTL's predecessor, used when NPTL
is disabled).

> I want to upgrade to 2.6. because the USB support of 2.4 so bad
> and obsolete (It's not possible to write some 10 MB to a USB:
> The box will hang. Connecting webcams is game of luck how long they will
> work until the box freezes.)
>
> So, what's the way of VDR and kernel?

I see no reason for you not to upgrade to the latest kernel, you won't
even need to install any external dvb drivers.

--
Anssi Hannula