Which kernel to use?

anssi.hannula@xxxxxxxxx(Anssi Hannula)  27.05.05 11:57

>Rainer Zocholl wrote:
>> Hello

>I'd recommend latest vanilla kernel (2.6.11.something) with the
>drivers it includes.

Ok, just switching the CPU to 1800MHz to compile...
(Because of a dist-upgrade to "sarge" VDR 1.3.18 nor .24 are
running any more and gerneates kernel oopes! Recompiling did not help.)

>> But then i read that NTPL is used by VDR, a feature only existing
>> in 2.6 kernel IIRC.

>NPTL exists only in 2.6, yes. But VDR has had many problems when NPTL
>is _enabled_,

Ha, i missunderstood that.

>mainly because of some race conditions in VDR.

Maybe we should try to fix that first instead of adding new features?
I assume, no, i'm convinced, that those "race conditions" exists
without NTPL too, but are very seldom seen. Maybe "sufficiently" seldom
in the one hardware, but not in all.

>NPTL isused by default in _all_ threaded applications unless the
>LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.x is defined. By default VDR refuses to run if
>NPTL is enabled.

I have that line
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.x in my runvdr script.

>However, the latest version, 1.3.24, works now for many people with
>NPTL equally stable as with linuxthreads (NPTL's predecessor, used
>when NPTL is disabled).

>I see no reason for you not to upgrade to the latest kernel, you won't
>even need to install any external dvb drivers.

Ok, i'll report.

BTW:
The Kernel 2.6.11 has a switch "premptive kernel"
That should garanty better user performance if a driver blocks.
Should that be on of off for DVB/VDR?