softdevice doubts

Leo M?rquez a ?crit :
> And how know softdevice if has to use the vga cable to crt or the svideo
> to a TV?

Softdevice doesn't decide : the motherboard does this. Just select CRT +
TV on the BIOS. This will activate TV timings for all output, and "just
works".
WRT DirectFB, you have to use the viafb kernel frame buffer driver from
patcher2k or DirectFB CVS (see related recent threads on the softdevice
+ directfb-users ML). This driver receive a TVon parameter you also have
to set to 1.

> I have no plan to use X but if I decide change softdevice to xine I
> think I will need it.

You will then have to use a xine + X enhanced for CLE266 HW decoding (if
you really want something more than softdevice from that combination).
You could also try the Unichrome X driver from CVS, that have improved
TV-out settings, but that's another story...

> I'm just have built from source vdr 1.3.24 and try to make softdevice
> plugin. If I try the DirectFB the only thing I need is install directFB
> with apt? (i use debian) and comment the other output options in
> softdevice Makefile?

You also need DFB++ (a C++ layer between softdevice and DirectFB). You
can use my Debian source package at
http://nicolas.huillard.net/vdr/debian/ (download, compile, install)
I don't offer a Debian repository, but e-tobi will soon have a working
softdevice package...

You should really subscribe to the softdevice ML on berlios.de if you're
not already.

--
NH