vdr-xine-0.7.3 no OSD at all!

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 20:15 +0200, Reinhard Nissl wrote:
> > I have also got an LCD module attached and that reacts almost instantly
> > to keypresses for the menu, etc. but I see no OSD on either my TV or
> > monitor. With version 0.7.2, the OSD appears after maybe 2-4 s after a
> > keypress (even thought the LCD module updates much quicker).
>
> Should this be a nptl issue?
> Did you turn off nptl (export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1)?

I am already doing so to disable NPTL for vdr. Is it worth trying it for
xine as well?

> > I have been messing about with various xine options trying to improve my
> > TV-out quality and I'm sure that the OSD was much more responsive when I
> > first tried 0.7.2!
>
> Do you get messages like:
>
> 	vdr: osdflush: n: 1, 7.5
>
> when you run xine with --verbose=2?

I haven't really had a chance to do any proper testing yet but I'll
check it out later, hopefully.

> > Are there any major changes in drawing the OSD between the two versions
> > that I may be affecting? I've seen mentions that the new version if more
> > stable for some and that it is much more responsive to keypresses.
>
> I've changed the implementation of osd_flush in input_vdr to not cause
> high CPU load. There is now a xine_usleep() of 5000 ms in the wait loop.
> The above numbers indicate 1 loop interation and a total wait time of
> 7.5 ms until the OSD got flushed by xine.
>
> > On another point, is it possible to get xine to reconnect to vdr if it
> > restarts? At the moment, I have a loop which runs xine continuously but
> > I have to poke 'q' to restart xine if vdr restarts!
>
> Try xine's -pq option. This makes xine exit when the stream is done, e.
> g. when VDR shuts down. Then wait a little bit until VDR is up again and
> then start xine again.

Ahhh...that sounds like what I want. I'll give that a go...

> A working solution is to have too scripts that restart each programme.
>
> For VDR one should remove /tmp/vdr-xine in runvdr when VDR exits. Then
> wait 2 seconds and kill xine too in the case it hasn't exited by itself.
>
> The script for xine waits 5 seconds and tests whether
> /tmp/vdr-xine/stream exists and starts xine then. Otherwise it goes on
> with waiting and testing.

...in combination with this. I never thought of getting my vdr script to
remove the directory.

Cheers,

Laz