vdr-xine-0.7.3 no OSD at all!

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 18:51 +0100, Darren Salt wrote:
> I demand that Laurence Abbott may or may not have written...
>
> > I've just got around to upgrading xine-lib so that I could try out version
> > 0.7.3 of the xine output plugin. So far, I have not managed to get any sort
> > of OSD with this new version.
>
> > :-(
>
> Works for me, although I've yet to test CVS HEAD. I was going to do so
> yesterday, but a failed PSU fan put paid to that. (The PSU has been replaced
> now and that computer is up and running again; thoughts on the viability of
> replacing the fan in the old one, anybody?)
>
> You could try using the xine-1_0 branch (as of yesterday - a lot of stuff has
> been merged from HEAD today, ready for 1.0.1). You'll need to change the
> plugin version number in the patch fom 16 to 15 (look for PLUGIN_INPUT);
> memory says that there should be one reject and that it's trivially fixable.

Hmmm...could be something to do with this. Originally, I had a xine-lib
1.0-1vdr6.xvmc deb installed, which included both vdr and Via Unichrome
patches, and vdr-xine-0.7.2 was very responsive. vdr-xine-0.7.3 wouldn't
build against this version so I upgraded to xine-lib cvs from 18/4/05.
Now vdr-xine-0.7.2 is a bit sluggish (ca. 1 s delay for OSD to appear or
react). vdr-xine-0.7.3 now builds but I get no OSD!

Darren: do your libxine1 packages include supoprt for Via Unichrome xxmc
output? I _think_ this is in current xine-lib cvs. If it does, I can
just grab your packages and, hopefully, things will 'just work'!

;-)

> [snip]
> > On another point, is it possible to get xine to reconnect to vdr if it
> > restarts? At the moment, I have a loop which runs xine continuously but I
> > have to poke 'q' to restart xine if vdr restarts!
>
> If it's the only item in the playlist then clicking on the 'play' button
> should be sufficient (with gxine, it is); other than that, I doubt it -
> you've hit end-of-stream :-)

The -pq options have been suggested, i.e. quit after play has stopped,
and also getting my vdr startup script to remove /tmp/vdr-xine on a
restart so that the 'file' disappears and play stops.

Cheers,

Laz