vdr-xine-0.7.3 no OSD at all!

Hi,

Laurence Abbott wrote:

> I've just got around to upgrading xine-lib so that I could try out
> version 0.7.3 of the xine output plugin. So far, I have not managed to
> get any sort of OSD with this new version.
>
> :-(
>
> I have also got an LCD module attached and that reacts almost instantly
> to keypresses for the menu, etc. but I see no OSD on either my TV or
> monitor. With version 0.7.2, the OSD appears after maybe 2-4 s after a
> keypress (even thought the LCD module updates much quicker).

Should this be a nptl issue?
Did you turn off nptl (export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1)?

> I have been messing about with various xine options trying to improve my
> TV-out quality and I'm sure that the OSD was much more responsive when I
> first tried 0.7.2!

Do you get messages like:

	vdr: osdflush: n: 1, 7.5

when you run xine with --verbose=2?

> Are there any major changes in drawing the OSD between the two versions
> that I may be affecting? I've seen mentions that the new version if more
> stable for some and that it is much more responsive to keypresses.

I've changed the implementation of osd_flush in input_vdr to not cause
high CPU load. There is now a xine_usleep() of 5000 ms in the wait loop.
The above numbers indicate 1 loop interation and a total wait time of
7.5 ms until the OSD got flushed by xine.

> On another point, is it possible to get xine to reconnect to vdr if it
> restarts? At the moment, I have a loop which runs xine continuously but
> I have to poke 'q' to restart xine if vdr restarts!

Try xine's -pq option. This makes xine exit when the stream is done, e.
g. when VDR shuts down. Then wait a little bit until VDR is up again and
then start xine again.

A working solution is to have too scripts that restart each programme.

For VDR one should remove /tmp/vdr-xine in runvdr when VDR exits. Then
wait 2 seconds and kill xine too in the case it hasn't exited by itself.

The script for xine waits 5 seconds and tests whether
/tmp/vdr-xine/stream exists and starts xine then. Otherwise it goes on
with waiting and testing.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl