HDTV -> mpeg4

On Monday 28 March 2005 15:25, Gr?goire Favre wrote:

> just done a small try to convert an Euro1080 FTA preview to mpeg4, with
> a bitrate of 2500 with mencoder : quality was very bad...

2500 is barely enough for an svcd. You can't seriously expect that to be
enough for 10 times the pixels, can you?

> Anyone already converted (and keeping the resolution) HDTV with a
> perfect quality to mpeg4 ?

Perfect quality?
mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=2:keyint=1:autoaspect (:ilme:ildct ) input -o output

That'll make a big file though, probably bigger than the original, but
it'll be pretty much as good as it can get. Of course it'll be worse than
the original, lossy compression and everything. You probably wont notice.
ilme:ildct is probably a good idea if the source is interlaced.

I'm not at all certain if mbd=2 and qns make any difference when encoding
with constant quantizer. Qns takes way too much time anyway at that
resolution so just forget about it.

Obviously this isn't very useful. It'd be a much better idea to specify an
average bitrate and do a two or three pass encode. That way you can
control how big the output file gets. Mplayer docs describe the process
very well.