[ADMIN] server downtime

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> I don't mean to further heat up this discussion, just one
> question: isn't the most reasonable way to reply to a mailing
> list posting to the *list*? What sense does it make to reply
> only privately to a ML posting? Sure, in some rare cases one may want
> to get into contact privately with a poster, but in the vast
> majority of cases replies should go to the list.

It depends on the list's purpose and policy.

> Personally I don't want to have to think about whether I have to
> reply to the sender or to the list - I just hit the Reply button
> and want the message to go where it makes sense, which in case of
> a mailing list is the *list*.

Funny, for me it's just the opposite. I decide what I want
and then hit the appropriate button, and all I want is that
my mail client does what it's told to do.

IMHO Nothing is worse than if a private reply accidentally goes to the list.
Not inserting Reply-To: means protecting people from making this
mistake. (As I mentioned mutt can be configured to ignore Reply-To:
in mailing-list postings, so there is no problem for *me*.)

> Since I have set up my procmailrc to insert Reply-to headers for
> the mailing lists I'm subscribed to, there is no real problem
> for me. All I want to avoid is that people send messages to me
> privately _and_ to the list.

Currently Mailman is configured to avoid dupes.

Johannes