Re: fdisk corrupts data on USB stick

William G. Unruh __| Canadian Institute for|____ Tel: +1(604)822-3273
Physics&Astronomy _|___ Advanced Research _|____ Fax: +1(604)822-5324
UBC, Vancouver,BC _|_ Program in Cosmology |____ unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada V6T 1Z1 ____|____ and Gravity ______|_    theory.physics.ubc.ca/

On Mon, 29 Jan 2024, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

[CAUTION: Non-UBC Email]

Bill Unruh dixit:

the usb. Now you will have a 2GB partition on the usb that you can write to
etc. It will I believe be ext4 by default although you can choose others. No

Again, I prefer to keep the original ISO 9660 filesystem
at the beginning of the stick so it doesn’t get modified
(by accident or not).

isodumper does install the iso filesystem at the beginning of the usb. The
persistant partition uses up the free end of the usb.

I’ve been doing this for ages, in fact I good as invented
making ISOs directly bootable (before isohybrid reinvented
the same thing, though mine for MirBSD also boot on sparc)
under the name manifold-boot. Incidentally also for grml.

Great. I am just pointing out a program which seems to do exactly what you
want. Using it is of course up to you. Of course if you are not on Mageia or a
close derivative, I have no idea if it will work for you without some work, so
another solution might well be better. But solutions already exist.
Clearly had others know of your manifold-boot, they might well have used that
instead of instead of reinventing isohybrid.

bye,
//mirabilos
mirabilos: und dein bootloader ist geil :)    23:29⎜«mikap:#grml» und ich
finds saugeil dass ich ein bsd zum booten mit grml hab, das muss ich dann
gleich mal auf usb-stick installieren	-- Michael Prokop über MirOS bsd4grml