Re: Help needed with man page conversions to asciidoc?

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 09:10:34PM +0100, Mario Blättermann wrote:

> > I like the idea with translated man pages maintained in the
> > upstream tree, keep it all in one place is the only way how to
> > keep it up to date. If I good understand then the result will be
> > another template on translationproject.org to maintain man pages
> > strings in po, right? What about in-tree .po files? I guess it
> > should be separate from normal po files, po-docs/ directory?
> >
> Yes, it needs a separate .po file. It's not OK to mix UI and doc
> translations. Well, it's theoretically possible to merge both .pot
> files in one to force translators to work on both UI and man pages.
> But I think the UI .pot file with more than 4000 gettext messages is
> big enough, especially for newbies. So don't let's blow it up to more
> than 10000.

 I agree.

> I propose the following structure:
>
> The asciidoc man pages will be stored where the *roff man pages reside
> for ages: in their respective subdirectories (sys-utils, schedutils,
> whatever). For the special asciidoc files footer.adoc,
> translation.adoc and asciidoc.conf we need an extra directory, let's
> name it "man-common".

 OK.

> For the man page translations, we can also use man-common. It's a good
> place for files like po4a.conf or the TP sync script (if desired), and
> the subdirectory "po".

 OK. For scripts, see also tools/ directory where we have some
 checkers, simple script to commit po/ changes to git (git-tp-sync)
 etc.

> > Is there any possibility to use some "style" template for
> > conversion to the man pages (for example the same header/footer
> > for all pages, generic sections like AVAILABILITY, etc.)?
> >
> Yes, see the attached tarball for an example footer.adoc. I could
> extend it with a "Reporting bugs" section.

 I see, it looks pretty cool and readable.

> > Don't worry about Autotools, I'll do this task. All I need is some
> > command-line examples of how to do the conversion.
>
> Oh, very nice... Although I also use Autotools in manpages-l10n (but
> haven't written all the Makefile* and related stuff), my knowledge is
> poor, and I'm happy after each release without problems;)
>
> Karel, I've already forked the util-linux project at Github; maybe it
> is useful to create a branch for the Asciidoc stuff in your main repo,
> which I can check out into the forked repo? This would be probably the
> most painless way for a merge request.

 OK, I have created a new branch "topic/asciidoc" on github.

   Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com