Re: Help needed with man page conversions to asciidoc?

Hello Karel,

Am Mo., 8. März 2021 um 11:53 Uhr schrieb Karel Zak <notifications@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Oh, it's like reading a dream -- sure, go ahead :-)

OK. Sometimes dreams become true ;) I know about the peculiarities of
the ~50 years old *roff formats, and I'm happy to help a project to
get rid of this odd stuff...

> I like the idea with translated man pages maintained in the upstream tree, keep it all in one place is the only way how to keep it up to date. If I good understand then the result will be another template on translationproject.org to maintain man pages strings in po, right? What about in-tree .po files? I guess it should be separate from normal po files, po-docs/ directory?

Yes, it needs a separate .po file. It's not OK to mix UI and doc
translations. Well, it's theoretically possible to merge both .pot
files in one to force translators to work on both UI and man pages.
But I think the UI .pot file with more than 4000 gettext messages is
big enough, especially for newbies. So don't let's blow it up to more
than 10000.

I propose the following structure:

The asciidoc man pages will be stored where the *roff man pages reside
for ages: in their respective subdirectories (sys-utils, schedutils,
whatever). For the special asciidoc files footer.adoc,
translation.adoc and asciidoc.conf we need an extra directory, let's
name it "man-common".

For the man page translations, we can also use man-common. It's a good
place for files like po4a.conf or the TP sync script (if desired), and
the subdirectory "po".

> For now (as the first step) for me more important is ASCII to man pages conversion with some usable result. The translations should be the next logical step.
Yes, although I'm sure I need to always have a look at the
localizabililty while converting the man pages. Once all is OK, I need
some more time anyway to import existing .po files and provide some
help to the TP folks. As far as I can see, we have translations of
util-linux man pages in German, French, Spanish and Polish in
manpages-l10n. Some other teams, like Japanese, or even the abandoned
Hungarian and Turkish projects, also have such files. Sadly there are
no Czech translations known to me :(

> Is there any possibility to use some "style" template for conversion to the man pages (for example the same header/footer for all pages, generic sections like AVAILABILITY, etc.)?

Yes, see the attached tarball for an example footer.adoc. I could
extend it with a "Reporting bugs" section.

> Don't worry about Autotools, I'll do this task. All I need is some command-line examples of how to do the conversion.

Oh, very nice... Although I also use Autotools in manpages-l10n (but
haven't written all the Makefile* and related stuff), my knowledge is
poor, and I'm happy after each release without problems;)

Karel, I've already forked the util-linux project at Github; maybe it
is useful to create a branch for the Asciidoc stuff in your main repo,
which I can check out into the forked repo? This would be probably the
most painless way for a merge request.

Best Regards,
Mario