Re: tty[1-6]: colors a negative accessibility/usability trend

Karel Zak, le Mon 16 Feb 2015 10:47:47 +0100, a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 04:35:33AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On 16 Feb 2015 10:10, Karel Zak wrote:
> > >  What we want to duplicate? What exactly in lib/colors.c is duplicate?
> > >  The code evaluates filenames and parses files with "name colorcode".
> >
> > whether the terminal even supports color in the first place.  if i picked a
> > terminal that doesn't support color so i didn't have to worry about it, it's a
> > bit crazy i also have to go to multiple config files and also tell them i don't
> > want color otherwise i get corrupted output.
>
> For now it checks isatty() and nothing else, it would be possible to
> check number of supported colors in terminfo too, or is there any
> other way?

It should also check how to change the colors. Not all terminals will
support the ANSI way.

> Anyway, we don't want to create (duplicate) any database, all it
> provides are knobs for customization and enable/disable.

It provides only that because the source code currently hardcodes the
\033[%sm sequence, but it really should not, and use terminfo instead.

Samuel